Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How To: A Lesson in Troubleshooting

Please be reminded that whenever you do troubleshooting to check the source voltage of the power supply especially when using a dual-voltage Automatic Voltage Regulator.


Yesterday, I serviced a CNet external dial-up modem. The computer could not automatically detect it (plug and play). It's good that I still have the old reliable USR external modem with me. When I plugged it, the indicator for power won't light. I got suspicious and when I checked where it was plugged in, it was in the 110V instead of the 220V slot.

I transferred the plug, the modem was detected automatically. I removed it, re-installed the CNet modem, plug it to the right slot and it was detected automatically.

So always check power supply before you do troubleshoot. It is a timesaver.

No comments: